Rara Lake Trekking
- 17 days
- Min: 2 Pax
- Sightseeing in World Heritage Sites in Kathmandu
- Scenic flight from Kathmandu-Nepalgunj-Jumla-Kathmandu
- High Mountain flight Nepaljung-Jumla-Nepalgunj
- Fascinating views of Rara Lake- Queen of the lakes
- spectacular view of snow capped mountains
- Fully supported Tea house and camp trekking
- Traditional the cultural activities in this region
Rara Lake Trekking
The western part of Nepal, Jumla Rara lies in the remote Karnali region, northwest of Kathmandu. The Rara region is made-up to long ridge covered with temperate forest and alpine pastures enclosing high valleys. Rara Lake (Mahendra Daha/Tal) situated at Mugu district and altitude of 2,990 meters above the sea level, and falls within the Rara national park. Rara national park, Nepal’s smallest and most scenic national park that spreads over and area of 106 sq km is situated about 370 km north-west of Kathmandu and lies in Mugu a mountainous district of the western region of Nepal. The national park ascends from 1800m to 4480m forested by conifers. The pivotal of Rara national park is the pristine Rara Lake. It is the biggest and largest mountain lake in Nepal. Rara is the best destination point for trekking in the west. The trail of Ra lake trekking is very much off the beaten path and affords glimpses of culture and scenery very different from those in the rest of the country. It covers an area of 10.8 sq. km and the perimeter 9 km. the length of lake is 5-km and it is 2-km side, the altitude is around 3000m. The maximum depth is 167m. Its radiant blue waters is home to the snow trout, the only fish recorded in the lake. Rara lake side is known for long ridges forests and alpine pastures enclosed with high valleys and the lake it. Surrounded by lush forests and spectacular mountains it is described as a shimmering blue jewel set in a ring of snowy peaks. The snowcapped summits of Ruma Kand (3731m) and Malika Kand (3444m) located on the northern side of the lake; provide beautiful views of the lake to the south, and the beautiful Mugu-Kamali river valley to the north. Murma peak also provides an excellent view of the park area.
The trek to Rara Lake is difficult but very rewarding experience. Although the amenities for trekkers have improved over the years, they are still not comparable to the facilities available in the more popular trekking routes. The Rara trekking route wills thus give you a very pure trekking experience on self-sufficiency, secluded trails, and nature at its beat. The culture and scenery are very different from the popular trekking route-it’s a beautiful and calm haven surrounded by forests, and a paradise for bird watchers. The park has recorded 272 species of birds. Some of the important species include coots, snow cock and different species of pheasants, grebes, mallard, common teal, red-crested orchard and gulls. During winter, many migratory birds join the residential gallinaceous birds. The reserve is characterized by, sub-alpine and high temperate vegetation. Common plant species include fir, pine and birch, rhododendron, hemlock, oak, juniper and spruce.
Rara lake and its surrounding area were declared a national park in 1976 to preserve the beauty of the lake and protect the area from pollution, deforestation and not least rara lakes rich fish life. Winter season in this area is cold and harsh. The best time to visit this lake is thus during fall or spring, i.e. September-October and April-May. The pleasant atmosphere and gorgeous valleys with grassy expanses. The Rara trek is strenuous and we will camp throughout the trek.
The attraction of this trekking is that you will have chance to explore the beautiful Rara lake and its surrounded alpine meadows and forest and visit to nearby Rara national park, adjoined with the lake. the park is the home to animals such Himalayan black bear, red panda, leopard, black panther, musk deer, wild boar, rhesus and languor monkeys jackal, Himalayan Thar, yellow throated marten, otter, wild dog. You can explore the Himalayan vegetation and unique landscapes, have stunning Himalayan panorama and explore the serene Rara Lake and typical village life. These entire features have made Rara Lake trekking special and rewarding one.
Rara lake trekking trip begins with flight from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj, subsequently to Jumla and trek continuously for three or four days reach around Rara Lake and Rara national park side and explore around and return back from same route to Jumla and fly back to Pokhara or Nepalgunj and subsequently to Kathmandu.
Day to Day Trip Itinerary
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1350m) airport and transfer to hotel, Overnight at Hotel.
Day 02: Full-day Sightseeing around in Kathmandu valley and Preparation for the trek.
Day 03: Flight Kathmandu to Nepalgunj,55 Minute.Overnight at Hotel.
Day 04: Flight Nepalgunj to Jumla (2,370m), 35 Minute. Overnight at Guest House.
Day 05: Trek to Uthugaon (2530m),5 hours,Camp.
Day 06: Trek to Danphe Lagna (3500m),4 hours, Camp.
Day 07: Trek Lagna to Chautha (2770m),6 hours,Camp.
Day 08: Trek to Dhotu (2380m),5 hours,Camp.
Day 09: Trek to Rara Lake (2980m), 4 hours,Camp.
Day 10: Explore day in Rara Lake.
Day 11: Trek to Gorusingha (3190m), 5/6 hours,Camp.
Day 12: Trek to Sinja (2440m),6 hours,Camp.
Day 13: Trek to Jaljala Chaur (3270m), 6/7 hour
Day 14: Trek to Jumla (2370m),4 hours,Camp.
Day 15: Early Morning Flight to Nepaljung, afternoon flight to Kathmandu. Overnight at Hotel.
Day 16: Free day in Kathmandu.Overnight at Hotel.
Day 17: Final departure to your Homeland.
Your safety is of paramount concern while traveling with our agency. Please note that your leader has the authority to amend or cancel any part of the itinerary if it is deemed necessary due to safety concerns. Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary; however, since this adventure entails travelling in remote mountainous regions, we cannot guarantee that we will not deviate from it. Weather conditions, health condition of a group member, unexpected natural disasters, etc., can all contribute to changes in the itinerary. The leader will try to ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but please be prepared to be flexible if required.
Following are included on the above package cost
- Airport Picks up and Drops by private tourist Transport.
- Sightseeing UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kathmandu.
- Kathmandu-Nepalgunj-Jumla and Jumla-Nepalgunj-Kathmandu airfare.
- Major meals a day (breakfasts, lunch and dinners with tea or coffee) during the trek.
- Trekking equipment (do-men tent, dining tent, kitchen tent, table with chairs, kitchen utensils, and other necessary equipments during the trek).
- Nepali fresh fruits such oranges, apples, bananas mango, grape and other Nepali local fruits etc.
- Accommodation in camp . Provided by agency trekking crew.
- Trekking guides will be Government licensed holder an experience, friendly and good speaking English during the trek.
- Require the number of porter, Sherpa, and kitchen Staff.
- All food, accommodation, salary, insurance.
- All necessary grounded transportation.
- Rara National park fee, entry trekking Permits and TIMS cards all necessary paper.
- Our agency duffel bags, T-shirt, map sleeping bags by Gorkha Adventure (if required).
- First aid medicine kits.
- Nepal government taxes and vat.
- Agency service charge.
- Welcome and farewell Nepali culture dinner with typical restaurant.
Following are excluded on the above package cost
- Lunch and dinner during the stay in Kathmandu.
- International air tickets and airport taxes.
- Nepal entry visa fee US$ 25 (duration 15 days) and US$ 40 (duration 30 days).
- Personal trekking equipment and clothing.
- Wire transfer charge or credit card service charge as company rule.
- Alcoholic beverages, laundry, telephone calls and all type of hot drinks.
- Soft drinks such as cola, mineral water etc.
- Personal nature expenses and tipping (tips).
- High risk medical/travel insurance and first aid kit.
- Hot water, hot shower and battery charge fees.
- Emergency rescue evacuation (if needed).
- Any other things not mentioned.
- Tips to Trekking staffs and Driver (tips is expected).
Please click on thumbnail pic to have larger view