- 62 Days
- Nepal-Makalu Expedition
- Min: 2 Pax
- 5th highest mountain in the world
- One of the most difficult mountains in the world to climb
- An impressive mass of red granite with a four-sided pyramid shape peak
- One base camp, One ABC, and four additional higher Camps supported by highly experienced mountaineers, guides, and crew members
- Expedition includes acclimatization and nature tour of the Makalu Barun National Park
One of the most difficult mountains in the world
Makalu is the fifth tallest mountain on earth. A close neighbor to Mount Everest, it lies in the northeast region of Nepal. Makalu means the Great Black One, so called due to its dark brooding appearance. Still, it is relatively less attempted mountain. So far, the number of individual climbers who have attempted Makalu is only some 300+. Therefore, if you wish to attempt Makalu, you need to have a lot of mountaineering experience including one attempt on an 8,000 meter. The first attempt on Makalu was made by an American team in 1954, but it was first climbed by a French Team in 1955. The mountain has two important subsidiary peaks.
Makalu has steep pitches and knife-edged ridges. The final ascent of the summit pyramid involves a technical ice and rock climbing. The route to Makalu Base Camp (4823m) involves a sustained steep slope with magnificent views of Makalu (8481m) to the north. Climbing Makalu is really a demanding attempt - its also the reason why Makalu has not been attempted like other peaks. From a base camp at the foot of the Chago Glacier, we will use 4 camps on the mountain, including camp 3 on the Makalu La at 7,400m and a high camp on the North Face at approximately 7,800m.
Day to Day Trip Itinerary
Day 01:Arrival in Kathmandu(1350m) Airport and transfer to hotel. Overnight at Hotel.
Day2-3:Preparation and briefings at the Departments of Tourism.
Day 04: Flight to Tumlingtar. 45min.Drive to Num (1980m)6hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 05: Trek to Seduwa (1500m) 6hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 06: Trek to Tashigaoun(2100m) 7hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 07: Trek to Khongma Danda(3500m) 6hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 08: Exploration and Acclimatization day at Khongma(3500m) 7hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 09: Trek to Dobsto (3650m) 6hours.Lodge/camping accommodation.
Day 10: Trek to Yangle Kharka (3600m) 6hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 11: Trek to Langmale Kharka (4410m) 7hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 12: Exploration and Acclimatization day at Langmale Kharka(4410m).Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 13: Trek to Makalu Base Camp (5018m) 6hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 14: Rest and acclimatization at Hillary base camp (5018m).Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 15: Trek from Hillary base camp to Advance base Camp (5600m/18,373ft) 5hrs.
Day 16-53: Climbing period for Makalu (8485M)
Day 54: Trek to Yangli Kharka (3600m) 7hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 55: Trek to Dobato (3650m) 6hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 56: Trek to Khongma (3500m) 7hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 57: Trek to Seduwa(1500m) 6hours. Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 58: Trek to Num (1980m) 6hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 59: Drive to Tumlingtar. 5hours.Overnight at Guest House or Camp.
Day 60:Flight to Kathmandu (45min) .Overnight at Hotel.
Day 61: Leisure day in kathmandu, Farewell Dinner Provide By Gorkha Adventure.
Day 62: final departure to your Homeland.
Your safety is of paramount concern while traveling with our agency. Please note that your leader has the authority to amend or cancel any part of the itinerary if it is deemed necessary due to safety concerns. Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary; however, since this adventure entails travelling in remote mountainous regions, we cannot guarantee that we will not deviate from it. Weather conditions, health condition of a group member, unexpected natural disasters, etc., can all contribute to changes in the itinerary. The leader will try to ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but please be prepared to be flexible if required.
Trip Date & Price
Trip dates and price
|Start Date||End Date||Status||Cost|
Following are included on the above package cost.
- Arrival and departure by private transfer.
- 4 Nights hotels accommodation in Kathmandu on bed and breakfast.
- Experienced and government licensed high altitude trekking guide during the trekking and climbing period.
- Schedule Flight Tickets for Kathmandu-Tumlingtar-Kathmandu sector to all climbing member, Sherpa guide, liaison officer and kitchen staff.
- All trekking and mountaineering equipment such as: kitchen tent, stores tent, dining tents, toilet tents, tables, chairs, and cooking utensils for advance base camp and camp II.
- Common climbing equipment (necessary fixed and main rope, ice bars, ice screws, snow bar etc)
- Services of chef and kitchen assistant at base camp.
- Breakfasts, lunch and Dinner with tea/coffee available at the tea house/hotel/lodge during the trekking.
- All food and fuel for base camp and the higher camps during expedition for both members and crew.
- 30kg baggage allowance per person during the trekking period, this will be carried by porters.
- Daily weather report services from Seattle, Washington based company.
- Trekking Permit (Makalu Barun National Park entry fee).
- Expedition Royalty and climbing permit of Nepal Government to climb Mt. Makalu (8485M).
- One experienced, trained, government licensed, and 3x Everest summiteer climbing/expedition guide (Sherpa) per client.
- All wages, equipment, medical and accidental Insurances for all involved staffs in trekking and expedition.
- Equipment allowances and wages for climbing Sherpa, chefs, kitchen assistants and liaison officer.
- First aid medical kits for the group and the staff.
- Satellite phone carrying by guide for communication and available for members at a cost of$3USD per minute.
- Appropriate amount of food for high altitude and at base camp and above as required.
- Required fixed and dynamic rope during the climbing period.
- Heater will be provided at base camp for heating the dining room.
- Emergency oxygen, mask and regulator provided upon request of the client with appropriate charge.
- Each expedition member will have an individual tent available in the ABC.
- Solar panel for light and battery charging.
- All tents for camp 1, 2, 3 and 4 for members and staff.
- Ice fall charges by SPCC
- Gamow Bags (Portable Altitude Chamber).
- 5 Bottles (28L) of Poisk Oxygen will be provided each members (we use Poisk brands of the Oxygen).
- Latest model of Summit or Top out system mask and regulators.
- Sherpas tents, food for climbing, and insurance for staff.
- Helicopter rescue insurance for high altitude climbing Sherpa guide, chef and staff.
- Free assistance service for cargo clearance and duties.
- Trekking and Climbing map of the Mount Makalu.
- EPI Cooking gas, stove will be provided in camp one, three and south col for cooking food, boiling water.
- Generator will be providing for back- up of lighting power and charging electronic tools.
- Our service charge and Government Taxes levied in Nepal.
- Farewell DinnerProvided by Gorkha adventure.
Following are excluded on the above package cost.
- Nepal entry visa fee US$ 25 (duration 15 days) and US$ 40 (duration 30 days)
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
- Any packed food/snacks, aerated drinks, energy drinks, mineral water, alcohol, cigarettes, chocolates, nutria-bars during the trekking.
- Items of personal nature, laundry expenses.
- extra expenses arising out of various/unforeseen situations like natural calamities, landslides, political disturbances, strikes, changes in government regulations, etc.
- Any additional staff other than specified.
- Rescue, repatriation, medicines, medical tests and hospitalization expenses.
- Medical Insurance and emergency rescue evacuation(if required).
- Travel insurance and helicopter rescue.
- Filming permit.
- Personal climbing gears.
- Expenses incurred towards usage of landlines, mobiles, walkie-talkies, satellite phone and internet expenses
- Clothing, packing items or bags, personal medical kit, camera/video fees or trekking gear.
- Nepal custom duty for import of expedition goods.
- Summit bonus for climbing Sherpa Guides as per Mountaineering Association rules. Minimum $1000.00USD per climbing Sherpa guide.
- Tips and gifts for base camp and high altitude trekking and climbing staff.
- An international airfare and tax.
- Any other item not included in “COST INCLUDES” section.
Please click on thumbnail pic to have larger view