Upper Mustang Trek
- 18 Days
- Min: 2 Pax
- Visiting UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kathmandu Valley.
- Scenic drive from Prithivi Highway through countryside roads.
- Peaceful Enchanting Pokhara Valley - the city of Lakes.
- Exciting flight from Pokhara - Jomsom - Pokhara.
- The Last Forbidden Kingdom-Mustang.
- Discover the Chhoser cave (44 rooms) and amazing landscape.
- Experience the wonderful Tibetan culture and their life style.
- Visit Muktinath - the plgrimage site of both Hindus and Buddhists.
- Upper Mustang, the hidden treasure, inhabited by Lo 3810 Meter.
- Crossing the Pa-Pass 4183 Meter.
- Majestic view of Himalayas: Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Tukuche Peak , Thorong Peak, Nilgiri and many more peaks.
Upper Mustang (3810m) Pa-Pass (4183m) Trek 18 days
Discovering the mysticism of Upper Mustang along the Trans-Himalayan Region like ; Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri etc., Exploration of old monasteries, caves and Buddhist shrines along-with Tibetan culture and Forbidden kingdom of Mustang with Spectacular views of Himalaya.
About us Upper Mustang Trekking - Hiking in Mustang region
The historical property of Nepal, Upper Mustang Trekking is known as the hidden treasure among the remote Trans-Himalayan natural heritage. The other name of this area is Lo. It was a part of Tibet. So, the remarkable influence of Tibetan Buddhism, culture and life styles can be experienced in Upper Mustang. The people of Upper Mustang call themselves Loba, the leader of their community is called as a king even today. The locals show their deep respect to him. Still not only the culture but also the landscape seems similar like of Tibet highland. Mustang is in the rain shadow area of Dhaulagiri, encircled by rocks, completely isolated barren landscape of weird formations. Therefore, we can explore the monasteries, caves, local tribes and scenic beauty of the different landscapes. The houses of Upper Mustang are made up of stone and sun baked bricks. The whitewashed houses have collected firewood tucked in the roof. Mustangees (the inhabitants of Mustang) used to have their unique family culture. All the brothers in the family have a single wife, a practice of polyandry.
Upper Mustang was the restricted region till October 1991 for the foreigners so that it is still known as the Last Forbidden Kingdom. One should get a special permit to enter this area valid your permit for 10 days and each additional days cost extra money. The trail follows the traditional salt trade route to Tibet from the lowlands. Lo-Mangthang is the capital of Upper Mustang, a medieval town which has been surrounded by the huge town wall and the remarkable architecture is four stored palace of this place. We can get the better barren landscape view from Lo La Pass. Another attraction of Upper Mustang is the Tiji festival, which is celebrated in the late winter, with the ending of the dry season.
Gorkha Adventure has carved out for itself an enviable niche at the summit of the best trekking company. We have earned the place of pride through the vision and dedication of a team, caring and guests’ interest focused services. We have our guides possessed knowledge in guiding and showing confidence and cordiality in any difficult circumstances as well.
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 01: Welcome to Kathmandu (1350m) International Airport, Overnight in Hotel.
Day 02 : Trek-Preparations and Special permit issue, Overnight at kathmandu Hotel ( B/B).
Day 03: Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara (200 Km) by private Transport. (B/B/Transport) about 5 Hrs.
Day 04: Domestic Flight from (Pokhara 810m - Jomsom 2743m), about 20 minute and Trek to Kagbeni 2840 m. about 3 Hrs (B/L/D) O/night at Lodge.
Day 05: Trek from Kagbeni (2810m) – Chele (3050m), about 6 Hrs (B/L/D), Overnight at Lodge.
Day 06: Trek from Chele (3050m) – Geling (3500m), about 8 Hrs (B/L/D), Overnight at Lodge.
Day 07: Trek from Geling (3570m) – Dhakmar (3820m), about 6hrs (B/L/D), Overnight at Lodge.
Day 08: Trek from Dhakmar(3820m) – GharGompa –Tsarang (3560m) (First Royal Palace): about 7 Hrs (B/L/D), O/night at Lodge.
Day 09: Trek from Tasrang to Lo Manthang (3810m), about 5 Hrs (B/L/D), Overnight at Lodge.
Day 10: ExploreLo Manthang (3810m) – The Forbidden Kingdom of Lo, Overnight at Lodge.
Day 11: Trek from Lo Manthang (3810m) – Dhe (3400m) continue walk to Yara (3910 m), about 6 Hrs (B/L/D), O/night at Lodge.
Day 12: Trek from Yara – Tangye (3370m), about 6 Hrs (B/L/D), Overnight at Lodge.
Day 13: Tangye – Pa-Pass (4183m) – Pa Kohla (4100m) Continue walk to Chhusang (2980m), about 10 Hrs (B/L/D), O/night at Lodge.
Day 14: Trek from Chhusang – Muktinath (3800m) Sacred place of Buddhists & Hindus, about 6 Hrs (B/L/D), O/night at Lodge.
Day 15: Trek from Muktinath to Jomsom (2743m), about 4 hrs (B/L/D), Overnight at Lodge.
Day 16: Early Morning Domestic flight from Jomsom to Pokhara (Fly) Then drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu -200 KM by Private Vechile about 5 hour (B/L).
Day 17: Half-day sightseeing in Kathmandu (Kathmandu durbar Square and Swyambhunath stupa), Kathmandu Hotel O/night.
Day 18: Final departure for your ownard destination/Homeland (B/Transport).
Option B: Day to Day Itinerary
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1350 m) Airport, Transfer to Hotel.
Day 02: Drive from kathmandu to Pokhara 900m by tourist bus, about 6 hours, distance 200km, Overnight at Hotel in Pokhara.
Day 03: Fly to Jomsom 18 minute and Start to trek about 3 hours Kagbani, Overnight in Hotel.
Restricted Area Start
Day 04: Kagbeni to Chele, 4/6 hours, Overnight at Lodge.
Day 05: Chele to Geling, 4/6 hours, Overnight at Lodge.
Day 06: Geling to Charang, 4/6 hours, Overnight at Lodge.
Day 07: Charang to Lomangthan, 4/6 hours, Overnight at Lodge.
Day 08: Full day in Lomangthan, Overnight at Lodge.
Day 09: Lomangthag Nechung and return to Lo-Mangthan, Overnight Lodge.
Day 10: Lomangthan to Ghami, 4/6 hours, Overnight at Lodge.
Day 11: Ghami to Samar, 4/6 hours, Overnight at Lodge.
Day 12: Samar to Kagbeni, 4/6 hours, Overnight at Lodge.
Day 13: Kagbeni to Jomsom, 3 hours, Overnight at Lodge.
Restricted Area End
Day 14: Jomsom to Beni and continues drive to Pokhara Overnight in Hotel.
Day 15: Pokhara to Kathmandu by Tourist bus or flight.
Day 16: Final departure for your homeland.
We also arrange: - The itinerary we offer is mainly the guideline to your trip. Our customized itineraries address your specific requirements. You are kindly requested to consult our expert team in order to be perfectly equipped for the Packages as per your interest and requirement with Gorkha Adventure.
Better to know: - One can’t control over natural happenings. So, different unforeseen natural as well as political environment, weather condition, disasters which are out of our control, can affect your tour. As a result, your itineraries may get changed. In such cases, our leading representative will arrange the best alternative itineraries in minimum cost more effectively. However, you shall keep in mind that any delayed schedule or inconvenience caused by the natural obstacles are to be bared in the particular trip yourself.
Flight delayed or cancelation: - In Nepal, Twin-otters are the primary means of transportation in the air for Jomsom to Pokhara. These flights sometimes can be delayed by few hours or even cancelled for one or many days because of poor visibility, bad weather or technical problems. The delay or cancelation of flights may occur even in fair weather. You must be aware of the bitter truth ‘always anticipate the sudden weather in the mountains’. Undoubtedly, we do our best to ease you by arranging another flight. Helicopter flights could be the alternative. Instead, Gorkha Adventure team will offer you different optional day-activities i.e. hiking, local cultural tours (Monastery sight-seeing) and so on of your choice on your buffer days either in Jomsom or you can change your trail to Mustang to Beni via Pokhara by Private transport. Kindly, note that you will not get refunded on such cases and we will offer you the accommodations only before the starting of your trekking. In case, cancelation of your flights at the end of trip, you have to bear all your expenses in Jomsom.
Cost: The cost of trip varies according to the number of travellers in the group, the category of the Hotel, mode of the transportation and any kind of changes (if there is). So, if you would let us know all of these above mentioned things, then we could quote you the exact price.
You are requested to send the following documents after you confirm or book the trip with Gorkha Adventure. A copy of your passport and travel/health insurance documents with contact details, three passport size photos. It is advised to maintain a separate photocopy of all important documents including traveller’s cheques, bank/ATM card, contact numbers, international flight tickets, and emergency contact numbers.
Feedback: Your feedback will be worth-full assets to meet our target and to bring improvement in our service. What and how have you experienced with Gorkha Adventure and our staff? Please write! One cannot see his/her shortcomings that are lying with them. Someone should point it out. We are always eager to hear from you.
Trip Dates & Price
|Start Date||End Date||Cost||Status||Booking|
|03-04-2020||21-04-2020||US$ 1840$||Trekking/Tour/Hiking||Book Now|
|09-04-2020||29-04-2020||US$ 1840$||Trekking/Tour/Hiking||Book Now|
Following are included on the above package cost
- Arrival and Departure airport by private vehicle
- Both ways (Kathmandu-Pokhara) by private Vehicle.
- City tour guide and private transport for the sightseeing.
- Standard twin sharing hotel accommodation in Kathmandu 3night's and Pokhara One Night's include Breakfast.
- Special Entry permit of Upper Mustang ( per-day 50$) and ACAP Permit.
- An experience of Nepal Govt. License holder Trekking guide.
- Required the number of porters, Salary, Food, Insurance and accommodation.
- We provide down jacket, duffel bag and sleeping bag by Gorkha Adventure (If required).
- Three times meal: lunch, dinner, breakfast and tea house accommodation during the trek.
- Domestic flight (Pokhara-Jomsom-Pokhara) both ways includes tax fare.
- First Aid medical kits.
- Nepal Government taxes, Vat and Service charge 13% only.
- Farewell dinner prgram:Typical Nepali Restaurant with Cultural show.
Trekking Equipment gear list
- Wind/Rain jacket
- Warm fleece jacket or jersey
- Boots, either light-weight trekking boots or light full leather boots
- -20 Sleeping bag (which can be rented or buy in Kathmandu)
- A comfortable day pack, preferably with a waistband.
- Fleece jacket or pullover
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell jacket
- Down vest/jacket
- Lightweight gloves
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens with a waterproof shell outer
- Light balaclava or warm fleece hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Hiking shirts
- Lightweight cotton long pants
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms
- Fleece or wool pants
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell pants
- Thin, lightweight inner socks
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks
- Hiking boots with spare laces
- Camp shoes (sneakers and/or sandals)
Other necessary equipments:
- Headlamp (e.g. Petzl Zoom) with spare bulbs and batteries
- Small pad or combination lock-to-lock trek bag
- Basic First Aid Kit (We also provide comprehensive first aid medical kit and Oximeter)
- Large plastic bags - for keeping items dry inside trek bag
- Day pack (approximately 2500 to 3000 cubic inches)
- Water bottles (2 bottles recommended)
- Small wash towel
Following are excluded on the above package cost.
- Nepal entry visa fee: US$ 25 (duration 15 days) and US$ 40 (duration 30 days)
- Lunch, Dinner in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Compulsory your travel insurance.
- International airfare and airport departure taxes.
- Items of a personal nature such as alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, laundry service
- Personal trekking equipments.
- All monastery and Cave fees while in Mustang area.
- Tips for guide, porter and driver (Tipping is expected).
- Horse Ridding during the trek.
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on ‘Cost Includes' section
Freequently ask the question Upper Mustang Trek
1) How is Upper Mustang Trekking in Nepal?
Upper Mustang Trekking is the popular trekking trail of Annapurna Region in the western Nepal. The trek reaches up to 4,200 m. from the sea level. It is a moderate trek and can be done by anyone. Upper Mustang Trekking offers an incredible remote Trans-Himalayan mountain area with unique Himalayan culture influenced from Tibetan culture..This trekking offers great opportunity to explore the thousand years of old monastery, caves, local tribes and scenic beauties of the different landscapes. The panoramic views of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and several other peaks can be glanced while passing through high peaks The thousands years of isolation has kept the culture, lifestyle and heritage remain unchanged for centuries and till date. The houses in Mustang are mostly made from stone and sun baked mud bricks. The city wall and the four storey palace in Lo-Manthang are some of the beautiful ancient architectures of Mustang region.
2) What physical fitness do I need to book this trip?
Every trekking in the Himalayas of Nepal requires the certain level of physical and mental fitness. So, you are advised to maintain good physical fitness and you must be feeling comfortable while hiking up and down about 7 to 11 hours per day on a trail carrying your own back-pack. Three things could be recommended to make you confident enough for any trek you would like to do i.e. aerobic, strength and mental fitness. Aerobic conditioning is important primarily because you will be trekking in thinner air, up to 40% less than at sea level. With good aerobic conditioning, you will be able to better metabolize whatever oxygen is available to you. You should plan on doing at least one hour of aerobic 3 /4 times per week for 1 month or more before you begin trek in Nepal. Walking, jogging, cycling, hiking on valley floor to ridge line ascents with the same day back are some of the excellent exercise, so as long as you strengthen leg muscles and that much it builds your stamina.
3) How do I find Gorkha Adventure for my pick up at the airport?
The representative from Gorkha Adventure will be waiting you holding a display board with the company’s or your name on it in front of the airport terminal. You will be then driven to the tourist standard hotel by our tourists’ vehicle.
4) What sort of accommodation do I get in Kathmandu and Pokhara?
No doubt, you will be provided tourist standard accommodation in the cities of Nepal. However it may differ in remote land of trekking region.
5) How are tea house facilities during Upper Mustang Trekking?
Tea House is the combination of guest house, restaurant. They are highly professional though they are simple. They serve you with neat and clean lodging offering fine views and plain but fresh and hygienic food with friendly atmosphere.
6) What mode of transportation do I use?
We will provide the private transportation for Airport/Hotel/Airport pick up and drop and sightseeing in Kathmandu Valley. The transportation varies depending on your costing and requirements at the time of booking of the trip and availability in the respective places.
9) What is the best season for this trekking?
The best season for Upper Mustang Trekking is spring (March to May) and autumn (September to December). These are the perfect time of the year for the breathtaking views of Himalayas with clear and sunny days. But the weather in the mountains is out of our prediction often.
11) Who will be guiding me during this trip?
We provide the professional English speaking trekking guides with government license holder for our entire trekking trip. We also provide French, Spanish, Japanese, German or Italian speaking guides as per your preference with extra payment (may not guaranteed). They are all trained from Nepal Academy of Tourism and Hotel Management, certified and approved by the Tourism Department of Nepal government. We provide a different city tour guide to guide you in UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kathmandu.
14) How much additional money may require for this trip?
It’s a very personal question as expenses depend on your habit. Normally, in Kathmandu you can allocate about USD 10 to 15 per person per lunch or dinner including bottles of water, chocolates. Other personal expenses will be your own calculation.
15) What is your company’s main motto of organizing this trip?
The situation of environment in Nepal is in considerable stage due to so many factors caused by global warming, human activities, and adverse effects of natural incidents. Nepal is in between two giant countries like China and Nepal. So, its direct effect is on the Himalayas that the snow is melting day by day. We are working together with other companies and taking these issues seriously.
17) Are there communication or internet services during Upper Mustang Trekking?
All guesthouses/lodges in Upper Mustang Trekking trails have telephones and internet services. With some extra charge you can get updated with social Medias, friends or family. All our guides carry the local mobile phone. You can use his mobile phone either. Besides this, you are highly recommended taking local SIM card for call and internet services during the trek.
20) What happens in case of emergency?
Gorkha Adventure has prepared for any sorts of emergency situation and knows how to handle it. Our guides are trained in various ways including providing first aid and dong rescue. Every client should have his own insurance before coming to Nepal in the case of emergency.
24) Can I use credit cards in the Upper Mustang Trekking route?
Of course not, you can use them only in the cities like Kathmandu, Pokhara but not in the Upper Mustang Trekking route. When you are out of city, all you need is cash, better to have small notes. You can change the currency in local Nepali rupees before you go to the mountains.
If we missed any question of your need, please feel free to send us by email your queries.