Upper Mustang Trekking
- 17 Days
- Min: 2 Pax
- Kathmandu valley Sightseeing UNESCO World Heritages Sites
- We hike along the Trans-Himalayan Region.
- Visit old monasteries, caves and Buddhist shrines City of walled.
- Ancient Chhoser caves (where 44 rooms)
- Tibetan culture and scenery Forbidden kingdom of Mustang
- Spectacular Himalaya views of Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Tukuche Peak , Nilgiri and more.
Upper Muastang Trekking
Upper mustang is located north of Annapurna and at an average of 4000m is geologically and culturally part of the Tibetan plateau. The valley is arid and dry colorful rock formations containing many caves dwelling high up in the cliffs. the first trekking parties were allowed into upper mustang in 1992 and there are still very few people (about 700 trekkers each year) visiting upper mustang as a result it is one of the few places left where one can see undisturbed Tibetan culture
Mustang is a mystical land in the rain shadow area of Nepal. Upper Mustang, with topography and culture resembling Tibet has many unique features and attractions. The Himalayan Kingdom which lies in the northern central part of Nepal and at the top of the Kali Gandaki River. Upper Mustang consists of two distinct regions the southern part and the northern where the languages, culture and traditions are alike to those of the Tibetan people. Upper Mustang is consider as one of the most interesting and picturesque places in Nepal. The whole area has an isolated and mystical feel to it, enchanting and inspiring visitors to this region. The major attraction of Upper Mustang is the walled city of Lo-Manthang.
Upper mustang trekking was a separate kingdom within Nepal until the time of monarchy till 2006 and even after the down full of monarchy this small Tibetan settlement has the same respect for their king Jigme Paramal Bista. The trek to Lo-manthang is through high altitude desert country climbing in and out of the huge sided valley of the kali Gandaki. In places the gorge which the kali Gandaki River runs through is the deepest in the world. This region is full of some of Nepal’s oldest Buddhist monasteries, ancient and isolated villages with quaint white washed house. Mustang trekking path encompasses treeless deserted scenery, vertical rocky track up and down the hill and beautiful views of Mt. Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, Tukuche peak, mustang Himal, Tilicho peak, Araniko Chuli and many other arresting peaks.
At 14th century although it remained an autonomous dynasty. Later it was annexed by Nepal, but the people still remain predominantly Tibetan. Untouched by the outside world or the Chinese Cultural Revolution, 16th century monasteries still remain active to preserve this magnificent trans-Himalayan kingdom, with their unrivalled Thankas, Mandalas and deities. Since, October 1991 the Nepalese government announced that all of Nepal was open to trekking groups but not to individuals. Only a handful of foreigners ever visited this isolated region. It’s to be hoped that the limited number of trekkers allowed into Mustang will also limit the amount of adverse change. In this wild lunar landscape of unreal color and beauty, ruggedly carved mountains reach up to deep blue skies, while icy peaks glimmer majestically to the south. Vast and barren ridges extend to the northern horizon making one feel like an insignificant dot on a timeless landscape.
A journey to mustang would be a journey of remarkable contrasts. Start Tibetan landscapes contrast with lush rice fields and Hindu shrines with cliff hanging monasteries. There are few guest houses and restaurants in the region; so camping is required and most necessities must be carried in. upper mustang treks are still restricted by a set of rules for cultural conservation and require a fee. The high winds, altitude and cold add to the challenge of this trek. It is not recommended to do in the minter months and can be strenuous for some people even in the warmer months.
Day to Day Trip Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu (1350m) airport and transfer to the Hotel.
Day 2: Kathmandu Sightseeing & preparation for the Trek.
Day 3: Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara (850m), about 6 hour/ or Flight 30 minute. O/N at Hotel.
Day 4: Pokhara to Jomsom (2713m) by flight then Trek to Kagbeni (2800m). O/n at Guest House.
Day 5: Trek to Chele (3060m). O/n at Guest House.
Day 6: Trek to Shyangbochen (3800). O/n at Guest House.
Day 7: Trek to Ghami (3520m). O/n at Guest House.
Day 8: Trek to Lo-Manthang (3810m). O/N at Guest House.
Day 9: Explore Around Lo-Mangthang (3810m). O/N at Guest House.
Day 10: Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar (3820m). O/N at Guest House.
Day 11: Trek to Geling/ Ghiling (3570m). O/N at Guest House.
Day 12: Trek to Chhuksang (2980m). O/N at Guest House.
Day 13: Trek to Jomsom (2720m). O/N at Guest House.
Day 14: Jomsom flight to Pokhara (850m). O/N at Guest House.
Day 15: Drive From Pokhara to Kathmandu by tourist bus (1350m) or Flight. O/N at Hotel.
Day 16: Free Day/leisure day in Kathmandu. Overnight at Hotel.
Day 17: Final departure for your ownard Destination.
Trip Date & Price
Trip dates and price
|Start Date||End Date||Status||Cost|
Following are included on the above package cost
- Arrival and departure airport by private tourist vehicle.
- All grounded transportation as per above itinerary.
- Standard twin sharing accommodation hotel in Kathmandu/ Pokhara on B&B plan.
- Government license holder tour and trekking guide, during the trek and tour .
- Required number of porters, their food, and accommodation.
- We provide down jacket, duffel/kit bag and sleeping bag by Gorkha Adventure (If required).
- Lunch, dinner, and breakfast and tea house accommodation during the trek.
- Salary of staff, insurance, equipment.
- First Aid medical kits.
- Annapurna conservation area fee.
- Upper Mustang special permit
- Flight fare from Kathmandu- Pokhara- Jomsom/Jomsom- Pokhara- Kathmandu including airport tax.
- Nepal Government taxes, Vat and Service charge.
- Farewell dinner prgram:Typical Nepali Restaurant with Cultural show.
Following are excluded on the above package cost.
- Nepal visa fee.
- Lunch, Dinner in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Compulsory your travel insurance.
- International airfare and airport departure taxes.
- Items of a personal nature such as alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, laundry service
- Personal trekking equipments.
- All monastery and Cave fees while in Mustang area.
- Tips for guide, porter and driver (Tipping is expected).
- Horse Ridding during the trek.
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on ‘Cost Includes' section
Your safety is paramount concern while travelling with our agency. Please note that your leader has the authority to amend or cancel any part of the Itinerary if it is deemed necessary due to safety concerns. Every effort will be made to keep the above Itinerary, However since this adventure entails travelling in remote region of Himalaya, we cannot guarantee that we will not deviate from it. Weather conditions, health condition of group member, unexpected Natural disaster, etc. Can all contribute to change in the itinerary? The team will try to ensure that the trips runs according to plan, but please be prepared to be flexible if required on conform.
Please click on thumbnail pic to have larger view